Rhoda was born in Beijing in 1965. She studied Music and Chinese Literature at China Normal University, where she specialized in cello. She then trained to become a Mandarin and Chinese Culture teacher and begun her teaching career in 1986, upon moving to Hong Kong.
With over 30 years of experience, Rhoda has a depth of knowledge in all forms of Mandarin, which she furthered with training in contextual and critical studies.
Rhoda specializes in teaching Mandarin and Culture to students aged four to 18 years. As Head of Department for over 3 years Hong Kong International school Middle school and a Mandarin immersion program manager, Rhoda has designed and implemented a wide range of curriculums tailored to students at every fluency and age level. In particular, she is deeply familiar with the criteria of the AP Chinese, SAT Chinese, GCSE Chinese, HSK Standard Chinese and IB Chinese examinations, and every year tutors students in such courses.
Rhoda can help support, guide and teach students who are studying IB Chinese (MYP and IBDP), GCSE Chinese, A-level Chinese, SAT Chinese, AP Chinese or HSK. Furthermore, she offers classes in Business Mandarin. The work that students produce under her guidance is specific to the demands of their particular course, but all of her classes stress the four skills essential to learning a language: speaking, listening, reading and writing.
Rhoda’s tutelage can not only enhance a student’s confidence and competence, but will also enrich his or her imagination, academic performance, and critical thinking skills.
- Founder at The Royal Academy of Mandarin and Chinese Culture 2014 – Present
- The Royal Academy of Mandarin and Chinese Culture – summer mandarin immersion trip Leader & Founder 2015 – 2016
- Hong Kong International School (HKIS) – Mandarin & Culture Teacher 1998 to 2014
- Hong Kong International School (HKIS) – Summer Mandarin Immersion (AP Chinese prep) Trip Leader & Founder 2005 – 2014
- German Swiss International School (GSIS) – Mandarin Teacher and Summer Mandarin program Leader 1996 to 1998
- Independent Mandarin Coaching for Multinational Corporations – 1987 to 1998
- Director of Market development, Action Industries Inc. (USA) – 1986 to 1988
- Director of Sino-Sing International Co., Ltd – 1993 to 1998
EDUCATION AND PERSONAL EXPERIENCES
- The Ohio State University Training Program in Teaching Chinese (post graduate)
- China Normal University Bachelor of Arts, Education and Music
- 2013 iFLT Language Conference in San Diego CA
- Foreign Language Proficiency: Performance, Assessment & Instructional Practice
- 9th Annual K-12 Chinese Teacher’s Articulation Workshop
- 6th Annual Chinese Articulation Workshop: For Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language
- Professional workshop on Linguistics and Teaching Chinese as Second Language
- Performance Based Instructional Techniques and The AP Exam & Course
- Chinese University of Hong Kong – “Child Literature & Teaching ”
- Thinking and Reading: Helping the Meddle School Student be Successful
- HKU SPACE – Academic Writing Skills
- Developing Literacy in a Second Language by EARCOS
- Best Quartet of China Central Television of 1982
- Pan Asia Orchestra Hong Kong 1986 – 88
- Chinese Language Association of Secondary-Elementary School (CLASS) Member
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Language (ACTFL) Member